Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Landscape Painting of Pond and Hills, 16" x 20" Oil on canvas

"Gavillan Springs"
SOLD







Today was one of our first "fall" like days with rainy weather and cool winds. Although I prefer the warmer weather (I'm a California girl in mourning), I do like the fall. In a way it's a good excuse to rest and slow down from the summer pace that keeps me in a dizzy race to accomplish things that can't be done in the cooler wet weather. It seems that I've been off my pace a bit this year, though, and can't seem to find my rythym. It's not that I haven't been painting - I have. It's just that I'm not happy with what's been coming off my brush. I'm in a curve where I'm learning new things but having trouble integrating them into my work. I'm working on a painting of roses now but couldn't seem to get it done today and that's just as well. Perhaps it will be better for the slower pace.
Here's one from a yesteryear. Gavillan Springs is a seasonal pond that only comes to life in the winter in California. I used to go there with a dear friend to paint and this was one that came out of such an excursion. It's made me think of doing some landscapes again. I've been remiss to start new projects because my studio is under construction (we're expanding) and things are such a mess. I walk into that studio and can't seem to get started or organized. I'm hoping to get back to some landscapes in the winter once everything is done. I'm going on a trip to the Mediterranean in a couple of weeks for a month. Hopefully I'll come back with some good material and the studio will be nearly finished.

No comments: