Thursday, January 29, 2009

Figure Painting of Young Woman in Soft Light, 9" x 12" Oil on Linen Panel

"Angie II"

This smaller piece was done from the same reference material as a much larger version, but here I was playing with the temperature a bit and also changed some of the colors. Not sure I'll use linen again for small pieces. While I enjoy the texture of the canvas, it tends to soften the edges on small pieces too much for my liking. While I can work around this with thicker paint and sometimes do, I didn't want hard edges except in a few places where thick paint just got in the way of flow. Paint and learn.


Art with Liz said...

She's so pensive! Absolutely lovely.

Susan Martin Spar said...

Thanks Liz...I was striving for soft light but I think it's a bit too soft maybe?

Art with Liz said...

Oh I don't think it's too soft! That's the paintings appeal - that and the glow of the light coming through.