Monday, November 17, 2008

Oil Painting of Pink Roses, 9" x 12" Oil on Linen Panel

"November Roses"SOLD









It's a funny thing about painting. Often artists resist the one thing they love the most. It's been labeled a lot of things like "resistance", "block", "creative anxiety", etc. But what it amounts to is this. Just before I'm due to arrive in my studio, I find a thousand other things to do. Like vacuum, wash dishes, do the laundry, call my long lost relatives, even do my taxes! What I need to remind myself is that once I get in there and get going, all that resistance disappears.

Today, though, I actually found myself getting excited about squeezing out some paint and getting elbow deep in paint. The pastel I did the other day was just a warm up. I found today's little painting a lot easier to do than I thought I would, having been away from the easel for over a month. I got quickly into the piece and was just humming along to the busy sound of construction guys hammering on the new studio roof just outside my window.

Well, here it is. I chose something simple for today's exercise. Hope you like it. I used lots of paint and a palette knife to apply it with. I'm trying to utilize that tool more than I have in the past and find that it is wonderful for getting the look I'm after on some of my vases.

1 comment:

Art with Liz said...

How most of know about those "blocks" to going into the studio to paint! but this is painting is a great result of overcoming your resistance.