Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sunflower Painting in a Copper vase, 9" x 12", Oil on Panel

"Sunshine Ala Prima"
SOLD





Thought I would loosen up and shake out my hands for a floral today. Also, it is so dreary out this morning that I needed a little sunshine in the studio. This was a nice break from the large figure I'm working on right now.

Here's a little bit of news I thought I'd share with you. One of my dreams has been to have my very own mentor. A teacher that I could learn from for an extended period. I've wanted to study at the Gage Academy of Art in Seattle for a long time but distance, availability of classes, etc. have just made it impossible. Tenaya Sims, an alumni and teacher at Gage has started teaching small (8 students, on going, atelier style classes from his studio once a week and I was lucky enough to get in! It will mean having to travel into Seattle for two days a week (a three and a half hour drive for me). I'll stay with a relative for one night, travel to the class in the morning and after a long day, head home - with a car load of homework. I'm not sure if I can keep the pace up but I'll sure give it my best shot. I think the hardest part will be keeping sales and teaching going at the other end. Something I need to do with the economy being what it is. But, hey...when times get tough, the tough get going. Or feint. One or the other. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Art with Liz said...

This is lovely. The glow on the copper pot and table reflections are simply beautiful.

Hope you survive the Seattle trips - there seems to be no end of teacher talent over there.